Let’s break down the word. Xeno- means foreign and estrogen is the hormone we women produce that helps our bodies function correctly. Xenoestrogens are chemicals that mimic estrogen in the body and over time contribute to estrogen dominance.
Where are xenoestrogens?
Xenoestrogen is everywhere. For example, the pollution in the air you breathe, the water you drink, the chemicals used to grow and food, even the soap you use with probably contain xenoestrogens.
With extremely high levels of estrogen, the body’s hormone levels are imbalanced. The result is a myriad of conditions ranging from uterine fibroids to endometriosis.
As a woman, how can plastic affect your health?
It’s a domino effect really. You see plastics contain a chemical called Bisphenol-a or BPA. The problem is that BPA leaches. So when you consume anything stored in plastic, be it plastic storage containers, sandwich bags, plastic water bottles, etc. you are consuming this chemical.
Here are a few tips to help you avoid or lessen your exposure to xenoestrogen:
- Eat organic whole foods as much as you can. This means eating organic fruits and vegetables. Sounds a bit boring maybe, but they help in detoxification and helps to balance your progesterone-estrogen levels.
- Avoid using plastic containers, especially to store your food. Instead, use glass storage containers.
- DO NOT use plastic containers to heat up or cook food in the microwave, DO NOT use plastic wrap to cover the food you are microwaving.
- Don’t leave plastic water bottles to sit in the sun.
- Adopt a vegan diet. Commercially raised animals are shot up with hormones and antibiotics. These substances will interfere with your hormones and contribute to estrogen dominance.
- Drink Apple Cider Vinegar everyday. It is a fantastic detox cleanser.
- If a vegan diet seems too extreme, then buy ONLY natural meats and hormone-free/antibiotic free milk. Try to limit your intake of these products to 1-2 times a week.
- Use a good water filter to remove chlorine and heavy metals from your water. A good shower filter is especially beneficial for removing chlorine. Bathing in chlorine free water promotes healthy looking skin and hair, and more importantly minimizes the risk of increasing estrogen in the body.
- Avoid lotions, soaps, shampoos, and creams that contain parabens
This may seem like a lot of information, but it is a small sacrifice for a healthier body. Take just one example and try it out for a week. See if you feel any better.